Brotherhood Temple of
Santo Domingo
Visiting hours
Closed on Mondays for rest
Tuesday to Sunday:

Located in the church of the former Convent of Santo Domingo, it is a center of devotion and culture linked to Holy Week. In addition to its impressive architectural heritage, it houses a permanent exhibition of processional floats and historical elements of the celebration, making it an important tourist and religious attraction.
Ubicación:
Plasencia, Cáceres
Tipo de monumento:
Iglesia y convento histórico
Estilo arquitectónico:
Gótico-isabelino, mudéjar, renacentista
Declaración BIC:
17 de febrero de 1983
Uso actual:
Exposición Cofrade
More than
Average of
Exhibition of
More than

Templo cofrade desde el 2007
History
Built between 1480 and 1515 on the site of the former Great Synagogue and part of the Jewish quarter, the convent was founded by Leonor de Pimentel and Álvaro de Zúñiga. Legend has it that they established it in gratitude for a miracle that saved the life of their son, Juan de Zúñiga, who later became Cardinal of Seville.
Architecture
Claustro del convento
Estilo isabelino con restos de artesonado mudéjar, esgrafiados y pinturas murales.
Escalera del Aire
Obra arquitectónica única de Juan de Ezquerra y Juan Álvarez (1577).
Sala Capitular
Cubierta con bóveda de crucería estrellada de 8 puntas, lugar de enterramiento de frailes.
Refectorio
Decorado con azulejos talaveranos y emblemas de los fundadores.
Biblioteca
Albergaba una gran colección de volúmenes religiosos y académicos.
Iglesia conventual
Segunda iglesia más grande de Plasencia tras la Catedral. Destacan el Retablo Mayor manierista (siglo XVI) y el órgano barroco tardío de Benito Baquero (1815).
